Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Made in North Carolina Awards - wish me luck

Our State magazine is sponsoring "Made in North Carolina Awards" and I decided to enter. I'm not sure I made the right decision in entering but the very worst that can happen is that I don't win (which is what I believe will be the outcome) and I'm not out anything.

I entered my Bicycle Wall Hanging because it's my favorite quilt I've made so far. I especially like the fact that I designed the appliqué so it's a completely original creation.


The official contest website is Enter the Made in North Carolina Awards. Their official description of the awards is:

Help us celebrate the astounding talent that North Carolina has to offer with Our State’s inaugural Made in NC Awards. We’re searching for the highest-quality items produced across the state in four categories: Food & Drink, Style, Craft, and Home.
Show us what you’ve got, North Carolinians.

I entered my wall hanging in the Craft section. The strange thing is that you only submit a photo. I don't mind not surrendering my wall hanging to them but do photos really do any craft justice? Wouldn't it be better if they accepted preliminary photos, narrowed those down, and requested the chosen craft(s) be submitted in person? The rules state that the item being entered can be delivered to the contest location but, again, I'm not thrilled about turning it over to them. Surely the people who submit Food & Drink have to submit the actual items. How can you judge apple butter based on a photo?

Well, come August 24, I'll have confirmation that my quilt wasn't chosen for an award. And I'm okay with that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment